Charul Shah- Read all stories from Charul Shah | Hindustan Times
close_game
close_game
Charul Shah
Articles by Charul Shah

Malegaon blast case: Sadhvi Pragya’s release plea likely to be heard today

A Mumbai court is on Monday expected to decide on an NIA plea for the release of Pragya Singh Thakur, two weeks after the anti-terror body dropped all charges against the religious leader and five others in the 2008 Malegaon blast case.

Hindu activist Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur got a clean chit from the NIA in the 2008 Malegaon blasts case.(Praveen Bajpai/ HT Photo)
Updated on May 30, 2016 11:09 AM IST
Hindustan Times | By, Mumbai

NIA’s special prosecutor in 2008 Malegaon blast case gets security cover

The special prosecutor of the National Investigation Agency (NIA) in the 2008 Malegaon blast case has been provided with a security cover, days after the central agency filed a supplementary charge sheet, police sources said.

In this file photo, forensic experts can be seen searching for clues at the blast site in Malegaon.(AFP)
Updated on May 24, 2016 11:19 AM IST
Hindustan Times | ByCharul Shah and Manish Pathak, Mumbai

Peter denied bail for a second time in Sheena murder case

Judge says releasing him on bail could compromise confidential information contained in case diary

Peter Mukerjea was arrested by the CBI in November last year.
Published on May 24, 2016 12:42 AM IST
Hindustan Times | By, Mumbai

Malegaon blasts: Delay in transfer of case to NIA affected probe

A protracted delay in handing over the 2008 Malegaon blasts probe from Maharashtra authorities to the National Investigation Agency (NIA) proved to be the biggest hurdle, a chargesheet in the case said on Friday.

Forensic experts search for clues at the blast site in Maharashtra’s Malegaon on September 30, 2008.(HT File Photo)
Published on May 14, 2016 01:26 AM IST
Hindustan Times | By, Mumbai

Anti-terror cell may have planted explosives on Malegaon accused: NIA

The National Investigation Agency (NIA) dropped all charges against religious leader Pragya Thakur and five others for lack of evidence in the 2008 Malegaon blasts case, saying a shoddy probe by Maharashtra authorities forced the U-turn.

Forensic experts search for clues at the blast site in Malegaon in this photo taken on September 30, 2008.(AFP)
Updated on May 14, 2016 02:04 AM IST
Hindustan Times | By, Mumbai

Indrani’s ex-driver gives CBI huge boost in Sheena murder

Plan to get Indrani’s former driver to give evidence in exchange for a pardon had been set in motion by Khar police soon after Indrani’s arrest

Updated on May 11, 2016 11:12 PM IST
Hindustan Times | By, Mumbai

I helped kill Sheena Bora, confesses Indrani’s driver Shyamwar Rai

Rai last week forwarded a one-page letter to the court stating his intention to reveal every bit of the criminal conspiracy and execution of Sheena’s murder. Rai produced before the court where he sought for pardon.

In a boost to the Sheena Bora murder case probe, Indrani Mukerjea’s driver Shyamwar Rai expressed on Wednesday his desire before a special CBI court to turn approver.(Linkedln profile Photo)
Updated on May 11, 2016 03:30 PM IST
Hindustan Times | By, Mumbai

Abu Salem alleges extradition order violation

The TADA court issued a notice to the Madhya Pradesh government based on the gangster’s claims

Abu Salem was extradited by the Portuguese government in 2005.(Hindustan Times)
Published on May 08, 2016 11:20 PM IST
Hindustan Times | By, Mumbai

Keenan-Reuben murder: All 4 accused found guilty, sentenced to life

All four men who attacked and killed Keenan Santos and Reuben Fernandez were on Thursday convicted by a special women’s court in Mumbai.

On October 20, 2011 Keenan Santos and Reuben Fernandez were attacked outside a popular eatery in Amboli when they tried to shield their female friends from a group of eve-teasers.
Updated on May 05, 2016 12:17 PM IST
Hindustan Times | By, Mumbai

2008 Malegaon blast case: Trial to be conducted in-camera

The special judge hearing the 2008 Malegaon blast case has now made proceedings in-camera, which means those who are not connected to the case will not be allowed to watch the hearings

Published on May 02, 2016 06:03 PM IST
Hindustan Times | By, Mumbai

2008 Malegaon blast case: Principal judge asks court to expedite trial

The principal sessions judge on Monday directed the special judge hearing the 2008 Malegaon blast case to expedite the trial and not grant unnecessary adjournments in the case

Principal sessions judge SB Agrawal was hearing an application filed by one of the accused in the 2008 Malegaon bomb blast case.
Published on May 02, 2016 05:46 PM IST
Hindustan Times | By, Mumbai

Court likely to deliver verdict in Keenan-Reuben murder case on Monday

After a wait of almost five years the special woman’s court is likely to pronounce verdict in the Keenan Santos and Reuben Fernandez murder case, case on Monday.

Keenan Santos and Reuben Fernandez were attacked outside a popular eatery in Amboli when they tried to shield their female friends from a group of eve-teasers.(File Photo)
Updated on May 02, 2016 12:03 PM IST
HIndustan Times | By, Mumbai

Verdict likely in Keenan-Reuben murder case today

After a wait of almost five years, the special woman’s court is likely to pronounce a verdict in the Keenan Santos and Reuben Fernandez murder case

On October 20, 2011, Keenan Santos and Reuben Fernandez were attacked outside a popular eatery at Amboli when they tried to protect their female friends from a group of men
Published on May 02, 2016 12:27 AM IST
Hindustan Times | By, Mumbai

Court slams ATS, says officers acted wrongfully

The MCOCA court claimed that the ATS had recorded the discharged accused’s statements under duress and they had retracted their statements

Dr Farog Maqdumi (centre) and Noorul Huda Samsodhoha (right) with advocate Sharif Shaikh on Monday.(Pratham Gokhale / HT)
Published on Apr 26, 2016 12:42 AM IST
Hindustan Times | By, Mumbai

All nine accused discharged in 2006 Malegaon blasts case

A court in Mumbai on Monday dropped charges against eight Muslim men who were charged with involvement in the 2006 Malegaon bomb blasts.

The 2006 Malegaon blast had killed four persons and
Updated on Apr 26, 2016 03:29 PM IST
Hindustan Times | By, Mumbai

Abu Salem alleges violation of extradition order

The gangster’s legal team alleged they had submitted a plea in court stating that Abu Salem cannot be arrested or tried in the Bhopal murder case as it was not mentioned in the list of cases that warranted his extradition

Updated on Apr 09, 2016 01:05 AM IST
Hindustan Times | By, Mumbai

Hostile witnesses thwarted prosecution

The prosecution in the 2002-03 blasts case alleged that charges relating to hatching a terrorist conspiracy, conducting training camps at Mahuli Hill and Karvi Hill, and harbouring terror suspects could not

Hasib Zuber Mulla was sentenced to 10 years in prison.(HT FILE PHOTO)
Published on Apr 07, 2016 12:23 AM IST
Hindustan Times | By, Mumbai

2002-03 blasts: Prosecution failed to prove charges of conspiracy

Prosecutors in the 2002-03 triple blasts case failed to prove charges of conspiracy and waging war against nation against the accused, including purported key conspirator Saquib Nachan.

These were the first blasts in which the banned organisation Students Islamic Movement of India (SIMI) and members of terror outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) conspired together to conduct a series of blasts in the city. (File Photo)
Updated on Apr 07, 2016 11:23 AM IST
Hindustan Times | By, Mumbai

2002-03 Mumbai blasts: Three of 10 convicts sentenced to life in jail

A special Prevention of Terrorism Act (POTA) court on Wednesday pronounced the quantum of punishment for all those found guilty in the 2002-2003 Mumbai blasts case.

These were the first blasts in which the banned organisation Students Islamic Movement of India (SIMI) and members of terror outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) conspired together to conduct a series of blasts in the city.(File Photo)
Updated on Apr 06, 2016 01:11 PM IST
Hindustan Times | By, Mumbai

Court rejects Indrani’s bail plea after CBI says she’s fine

A local court on Friday rejected the bail application of Indrani Mukerjea, who is an accused in the Sheena Bora murder case. The court has allowed private medication and treatment if needed.

Indrani had on February 5 filed a bail plea stating that she needs to recover from her deteriorating health condition to face the trial.(HT File Photo)
Updated on Apr 01, 2016 10:15 PM IST
Hindustan Times | By, Mumbai

10 blasts convicts plead for leniency from court

Most convicts pleaded that they may be sentenced for the period they have already undergone in the jail

Published on Mar 31, 2016 12:13 AM IST
Hindustan Times | By, Mumbai

Mumbai triple blasts: Trio relieved after acquittal

The accused were charged for the 2002-03 blasts at Vile Parle, Mulund and Mumbai Central

Adnan Mulla is now free of all charges(HT)
Published on Mar 30, 2016 12:01 AM IST
Hindustan Times | By, Mumbai

Mumbai triple blasts case: POTA court convicts 10, acquits 3

Thirteen years after three blasts rocked the city between December 2002 and March 2003 killing 12 people and injuring 139 others, a designated Prevention of Terrorism Act (POTA) court on Tuesday convicted 10 people and acquitted three

Updated on Mar 30, 2016 01:25 AM IST
Hindustan Times | By, Mumbai

Confessions helped prosecution nail 2002-2003 blasts case

The prosecution had confessions from seven accused

“There was hardly any direct evidence against any of the accused. It was a web and we had to connect the dots,” said special public prosecutor Rohini Salian.(HT File)
Published on Mar 29, 2016 11:59 PM IST
Hindustan Times | By, Mumbai

10 convicted, 3 acquitted by POTA court in 2002-03 Mumbai blasts case

Saquib Nachan, who the police said was the mastermind, has been convicted. Adnan Mulla, Harroon Lohar and Nadeem Paloba have been acquitted for lack of evidence.

A first-class ladies compartment of a Mumbai suburban train was ripped apart by a bombSI.(PTI Photo)
Updated on Mar 29, 2016 02:02 PM IST
Hindustan Times | By, Mumbai

Kasab was to be traded with 26/11 hostages: Headley

Defence advocate Abdul Wahab Khan questioned Headley about the execution of the 26/11 attacks

Mohammed Ajmal Kasab. the 26/11 attacks convict.(File)
Published on Mar 25, 2016 11:35 PM IST
Hindustan Times | By, Mumbai

Kasab was to be traded with Israeli hostages of 26/11: Headley

Pakistani-American Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) operative David Coleman Headley told a Mumbai court that LeT intended to negotiate for the release of Ajmal Kasab in return of the hostages held in Nariman house at the time of 26/11 terror attack in 2008.

Pedestrians walk past a poster depicting the hanging of Pakistani-born Mohammed Ajmal Kasab.(AFP)
Updated on Mar 26, 2016 01:19 AM IST
Hindustan Times | By, Mumbai

I have hated India since childhood for bombing my school: Headley

Pakistani-American terrorist David Coleman Headley told a Mumbai court on Friday he joined the terror group Lashkar-e-Taiba to avenge a bombing at his school in December 1971 “by Indian planes.”

Headley told a Mumbai court on Friday he joined the terror group Lashkar-e-Taiba to avenge a bombing at his school in December 1971 ‘by Indian planes’.(PTI)
Updated on Mar 25, 2016 02:16 PM IST
Hindustan Times | By, Mumbai

LeT hitman sent to kill Bal Thackeray was arrested but escaped: Headley

Shiv Sena founder-patriarch Bal Thackeray was on the Lashkar-e-Taiba’s hit list and the killer assigned for the task slipped out of police custody, revealed David Coleman Headley, the Pakistani-American operative of the terrorist outfit, on Thursday.

Headley disclosed via video link from a US prison that he had visited the Sena headquarters twice during sorties to India to select possible targets for the LeT.(PTI Photo)
Updated on Mar 24, 2016 07:46 PM IST
Hindustan Times | By, Mumbai

Bhujbal case: Driver, clerk, accountant named as directors

The ED, in its remand report, stated the directors of the companies promoted by Bhujbals include driver, clerk, and accountant of MET and even accountant’s wife, amongst others

The ED has accused Bhujbal of misusing his official position as a minister in the government(FILE)
Published on Mar 16, 2016 01:04 AM IST
Hindustan Times | ByCharul Shah and Pratik Salunke, Mumbai
SHARE
Story Saved
Live Score
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Wednesday, June 19, 2024
Start 14 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now
Follow Us On