India's jewelry retail sector surges to $80 billion in 2023-24 from $50 billion 6 years back - Hindustan Times

India's jewelry retail sector surges to $80 billion in 2023-24 from $50 billion 6 years back

Jun 19, 2024 07:03 PM IST

Jewelry retail surges with rising disposable income, more regular wear options, trust-building through hallmarking, & better buying experience at outlets.

India's jewelry retail sector has surged to USD 80 billion ( 6400 billion) in the financial year 2024 from USD 50 billion in 2018, according to a report by Motilal Oswal Financial Services.

A salesman helps a customer to select gold bangles at a jewellry showroom in Mumbai (Reuters)
A salesman helps a customer to select gold bangles at a jewellry showroom in Mumbai (Reuters)

The report highlighted multiple drivers that led to the rapid growth of the industry, including rising disposable income, an improving mix for regular wear of jewelry, enhanced product offerings (design, diamonds, etc.), trust-building through mandatory hallmarking by the government, and a better buying experience at organized retail outlets.

Also Read | Chain snatcher who spent loot money to visit hill stations with family arrested in Lucknow

The organized retail jewelers accounted only for 36 to 38 per cent of the overall share in the retail segment; however, the majority of the retail jewelry market continued to be dominated by the unorganized/local players, comprising over 500,000 local goldsmiths and jewelers.

The report noted that the total gold consumption in India is 66 per cent for jewelry and the remaining 34 per cent for bars and coins. India's gold supply is dominated by imports, and the country's gold market experienced notable fluctuations in imports from FY18 to FY20.

The report stated that the country's gold imports reached 980 tonnes in FY19 before declining to 720 tonnes in FY20. This volatility was led by various factors, including declines in global gold prices, buoyant economic conditions leading to heightened disposable incomes, and substantial demand for gold due to traditional celebrations and weddings.

Also Read | Goldman Sachs sells 44.20 lakh shares worth 183 crore in Paytm: What we know

However, in FY20, a significant drop occurred in gold imports due to escalating import duties and the initial stages of an economic slowdown.

The report mentioned Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, Karnataka, West Bengal, and Uttar Pradesh as the top five states for organized retail jewelry stores in India.

In India, weddings and festivals are the primary reasons for the purchase of jewelry. Bridal jewelry still accounts for a significant portion of demand, contributing 55 per cent to the total jewelry demand.

The daily wear jewelry accounts for 30-35 per cent of the Indian jewelry market. The industry is now strategically focusing on manufacturing lightweight pieces to cater to the preferences of younger consumers, especially those who desire daily wear gold jewelry that complements western-style attire.

Also Read | Canada’s largest gold heist case: Punjab-origin former airline manager to surrender, says lawyer

Fashion jewelry, on the other hand, contributes nearly 10 per cent to the Indian jewelry market.

In the jewelry product segment, bangles and chains are the primary contributors to domestic jewelry consumption, accounting for 60-70 per cent of total sales. These are preferred as daily wear by women. Necklaces contribute around 15-20 per cent of the sales volume, with their sales surging during special occasions, such as festivals and weddings. The remaining 5-15 per cent of sales are attributed to rings and earrings.

Elevate your career with VIT’s MBA programme that has been designed by its acclaimed faculty & stands out as a beacon for working professionals. Explore now!

See more

Catch every big news on Union Budget 2024, Nirmala Sitharaman's announcements, income tax changes and much more on a one stop destination.

Share this article
Story Saved
Live Score
Saved Articles
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Thursday, July 18, 2024
Start 14 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now
Follow Us On