After JNU, BBC documentary showdown in Delhi's Jamia; more students detained

Updated on Jan 25, 2023 04:59 PM IST

The Jamia Millia Islamia administration has prohibited any screening of the film in the campus without permission.

The Jamia administration has said no screening of the film will be allowed without permission
The Jamia administration has said no screening of the film will be allowed without permission
By | Written by Aryan Prakash

High drama ensued at the Jamia Millia Islamia university in the national capital over the controversial BBC documentary on Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Several students have been detained for allegedly creating ruckus outside the campus ahead of the screening.

Earlier in the day, the students belonging to Left leaning Students Federation of India (SFI) said they would screen the documentary ‘India: The Modi Question' at 6 pm today.

The Jamia administration has said no screening of the film will be allowed without permission. “The University reiterates that no meeting of students or screening of any film will be allowed in the campus without permission. University is taking all measures to prevent people/orgs having vested interest to destroy peaceful academic atmosphere here”, the university said in a circular.

This comes a day after Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) witnessed ugly scenes with students alleging they were attacked with stones while watching the documentary on their mobile phones as the screening was not allowed by the university administration.

Several university students marched to the Vasant Kunj police station to lodge a complaint against the alleged stone pelters. JNUSU president Aishe Ghosh alleged that RSS-affiliated student body Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad workers attacked them with stones.

The Students Federation of India in Kolkata's Presidency University has sought permission from the university authorities to screen the documentary on January 27 at 4 pm. The documentary was screened by various political organisations in Kerala despite the BJP staging protests against it.

The Modi government has imposed a massive crackdown on the documentary, which it dubs as a ‘propaganda piece’ and a ‘malicious campaign’. More than 50 tweets have been taken down and several YouTube videos sharing the documentary have been taken down following the government's instructions.

The Centre's decision to ban the documentary has been condemned by opposition parties including the Congress and the TMC. Trinamool MP Mahua Moitra shared the link to the second episode of the two-part documentary which released in the UK at 9 pm yesterday.

“Here is Episode 2 (with buffering delays). Will post another link when they get one this removed,” she tweeted.

Get Latest India Newsalong with Latest Newsand Top Headlinesfrom India and around the world.
SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
  • ABOUT THE AUTHOR

    Follow the latest breaking news and developments from India and around the world with Hindustan Times' newsdesk. From politics and policies to the economy and the environment, from local issues to national events and global affairs, we've got you covered.

SHARE
Story Saved
OPEN APP
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
My Offers
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Wednesday, February 01, 2023
Start 15 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now
Register Free and get Exciting Deals