Bihar releases fresh caste survey data, says 33% OBCs, 42% SCs are poor | Latest News India - Hindustan Times
close_game
close_game

Bihar releases fresh caste survey data, says 33% OBCs, 42% SCs are poor

Nov 07, 2023 03:03 PM IST

The socio-economic report said more than 5 million people from Bihar were living outside the state in search of livelihood or better education opportunities

PATNA: Nearly 33% of people from the backward classes and the extremely backward classes (EBC) in Bihar are poor, according to the socio-economic data of the caste survey tabled by the Bihar government in the state assembly on Tuesday.

Bihar chief minister Nitish Kumar with deputy chief minister Tejashwi Yadav (HT PHOTO)
Bihar chief minister Nitish Kumar with deputy chief minister Tejashwi Yadav (HT PHOTO)

According to the data, the scheduled castes (42.92% poor) and scheduled tribes (42.7% poor) were among the most impoverished communities in the state and the proportion of the poor was the lowest among the general category (25.09%).

Hindustan Times - your fastest source for breaking news! Read now.

The government said households earning less than 6,000 a month were classified as poor.

The Bihar government released the preliminary results of the caste survey on October 2, which showed that backward communities comprise nearly two-thirds of Bihar’s population. The results announced in October also indicated that extremely backward communities — which comprises 112 castes — constituted 36.01% of the population, and backward castes — formed by 30 communities — made up another 27.12%. Together, other backward classes (OBC) — the umbrella group consisting of backward castes and EBCs in the state — are 63.13%. Scheduled Castes form 19.65% and Scheduled Tribes 1.68%. Upper castes constitute 15.52% of the population.

The fresh set of data released on Tuesday indicated the socio-economic status of these communities.

It said within the general category castes, Bhumihars, Brahmins and Rajputs have the highest prevalence of poverty at 27.59%, 25.32% and 24.8% respectively, while Kayasthas have the least poor at 13.83%. Among the upper caste Muslims, Sheikhs have 25.84% poor, followed by Pathan (Khan) 22.2% and Syaad 17.61%.

Overall, 25.09% of the general category castes are classified as poor.

The data said that the poverty rate (33.16%) was higher among the backward classes. Yadavs, who make up 14% of the state’s population, have 35.8% poor. Kushwaha (34.3%), Kurmi (29.9%), Baniya (24.6%), Momin Muslim (26.7%), Dhuniya Muslim (31.4%) and Bind (44.1%).

The poverty rate for the extremely backward classes was 33.58%.

Unveiling 'Elections 2024: The Big Picture', a fresh segment in HT's talk show 'The Interview with Kumkum Chadha', where leaders across the political spectrum discuss the upcoming general elections. Watch Now!

Get Current Updates on India News, Narendra Modi Live Updates along with Latest News and Top Headlines from India and around the world
SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Share this article
  • ABOUT THE AUTHOR
    author-default-90x90

    Arun Kumar is Senior Assistant Editor with Hindustan Times. He has spent two-and-half decades covering Bihar, including politics, educational and social issues.

SHARE
Story Saved
Live Score
OPEN APP
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Saturday, March 02, 2024
Start 14 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now
Follow Us On