Discover your home decor personality: Tips and tricks to find your style
Knowing your decor personality can help you make informed decisions when selecting furniture, colors, patterns, and textures for your home. Here are some tips to help you determine your home decor personality.
Just as clothes are an extension of you, your home too is a reflection of who you are and of your personality. So the space you live in should speak volumes about you and it is the most critical element while styling or decorating one’s home. Your home decor personality reflects your personal style and tastes in decorating your living space. A lot of factors usually influence our bent towards a specific kind of interior look including age group, family set-up, demographic set-up, lifestyle, and the socio-economic standing of an individual. Knowing your home decor personality can help you make informed decisions when selecting furniture, colours, patterns, and textures for your home. (Also read: Home, interior decor tips: 10 minimalist bedroom design ideas to create a calming space )
Neha Jhunjhunwala, home decor enthusiast and founder of Onset Homes, shared with HT Lifestyle, some easy questions and tips that could help you understand your personal home decor style.
- If you had to describe yourself or your family set-up in 2-3 words, what would be the first few words that come to mind? Sometimes, it is normal and more interesting to have 2 contradictory words (like classic kitsch). Since most of us have multiple characteristics, using contradictory words helps in making the space more exciting! That’s the décor style your home should have. It’s that easy. Now your next question could well be, “Okay, so I have the 2-3 words and maybe a couple of pictures! What next?
- For starters, you need to understand what kind of patterns (or not) you feel comfortable in. It could well be a damask pattern a simple stripe. Your pattern liking could shape the overall style of your home’s décor.
- The third and most important factor is the use of colours. Each colour narrates a different story. Would you like your home to be in soft neutrals with warm creams, stony pewter, and browns, or would you prefer splashes of colour to uplift your mood? The colour theme should not be consistent throughout your home. When you walk from one room into another, you will have a refreshing feel.
- Lastly, the artefacts and the furniture, and most importantly, the bric-à-brac you choose to ‘creatively clutter’ or declutter your home with, says so much about your personality. Walking through the space make a to-do list: ‘Love it’ and ‘Wish I could replace it’. Remember to be honest about this list because in the words of interior design expert Carrie McCarthy, “It’s all based on how things make you feel.”
- Once you manage to put all these thoughts together, you will notice there are some common factors that bind. The common threads include — the look, the feel, the vibe, design elements, and substrates or materials. In sum, that’s what your interior décor style is!
- On a closing note, the most important element you need to keep in mind while styling your home is loving every inch of your space. Love your space, love the textiles used, love the paintings on the wall, love the sofa you sit on and, most importantly, love the people you live it! After all, they help make your house into a home and give it what we are constantly seeking the soul."